Friday, August 27, 2010

ii

I think that for me, the most important news of this year in Chile was the earthquake and the things related to the subject. Ok, I know that this theme has been become in a commonplace, but sincerely, in this moment, I can’t think in other news like the most important news of the year, even after I knew the news about the miners; all this because I think that the earthquake affected more people and it showed obviousness up a problem that could it affect the entire country in the future. I’m referring to the communication problems that there was in that event. And also I’m referring to the ONEMI’s problems, and the way that the State has to protect the citizens in case of a natural disaster.

Like all people know, the earthquake (and the tsunami) affected a lot of people in Chile, from Santiago to even the eighth region. The people lost their houses and in the worst case, their relatives.

I think that the Radio was the media most used for the people minutes before the earthquake, because it was the only media available when the others were fallen. The radio was reliable and it helped to calm down and communicate people, when the cell phones were all down. In that sense, I think that the radio is a very powerful media, that in cases like the earthquake it shows us the lot of positive things that it has. Things that when the electric system works, media like the TV dull and the people don’t perceive.

3 comments:

  1. I think you mean the radio was important AFTER the earthquake. I also think the radio is very important, especially because it gives us the chance to listen to the opinion of many individuals spontaneously and without censorship. Plus, opinions different to the majority of other means of communication

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, your topic is similar to mine. I'm agree with you, the earthquake show us how much useful could be the radio in the present, even when we all live where the image-screen is. And obviously, the power that media has to manipulate minds... you say that you can't forget in some way the earthquake to think on the miners, I think it is great, because you are aware of this problem.

    ReplyDelete